Friday, February 27, 2009

Baby stuff, moving stuff, stuff stuff

Well, according to the machines, Scotland the baby-on-the-way is about 3.3 pounds now. As well, his little heart seems to be working just fine. And, yes, it's still undoubtedly a boy.

Going to HAVE to come up with a boy name sometime soon.

Not feeling good at all. Incipient UTI, so I'm power-drinking water to keep me going. Backache. Still not sleeping.

But the baby seems okay, so I am happy.

In moving news, this weekend is our "That is IT, it's all going into a box" packing spree. Dishes, toys, DVDs, everything. Only the absolute essentials will be left out of boxes, so I expect a very busy and stressful weekend. I promised the kids that we'd have a nice dinner out on Sunday night if they worked like good little slave children the rest of the weekend. Ireland would do anything to go eat at Chili's, so I expect I can actually get his room cleaned out. And maybe the truck, too!

Beyond that, I am so looking forwards to being home in my own home. We've decided that, given the state of the economy and the dismal prospects for food prices this year, we're going to actually buy a tiller and put in a proper garden for the first time in several years. The feds are cutting off water to California and Arizona's farmers, US farmers planted 40% less this year than last, and the economy looks like it's staying in the toilet? Yeah, I want to make sure I have some food on hand. When tomatoes go back up to $4 a pound, I will be happy I did.

We're also going to store a little food in our upstairs gameroom closet, just in case. If we did have a bout of unemployment or something, I'd feel a lot better with a couple hundred pounds of rice set aside. My kids are Texans by way of China, it seems-- we go through five to ten pounds of rice most weeks. I figure I'll buy things in bulk when they go on sale . . . canned soups and pastas, flour, sugar, veggies, water, beans . . . the usual stuff. Will it help if there's a total financial meltdown? Not much . . . but it would sure help in a short-term emergency.

Maybe it's my own version of nesting behavior. We already have 90% of the baby clothes and gear that we need. We've already got a nice newly painted nursery waiting. All we need now is . . . stockpiles of food. Hey, makes sense to me.

But, then, I won't let hubby sell our ancient travel trailer just in case we need emergency housing. He humors me in this, mostly because it's paid for and it costs only $35 a month to store it. He's learned, after this many pregnancies-- you don't say no to the pregnant woman when she's engaging in irrational nesting behaviors. Not if you want to ever sleep again.

Anyway. So tired, but it's Friday night and the kids will be bouncing home from school at any minute, rejoicing that they only have 5 days left in this school district. We're going to get vegetarian pizzas and watch the Netflix that we've had sitting around the house for the past two weeks. And SOMEONE is going to clean the front bathroom, because the cat has tracked kitty litter all through it and I can't even walk in.

Godbless.

No comments: